Focus 2 - Building Identities
Table of Contents
Building Identities - Saying "I do" to maintaining a responsible digital footprint and "I don't" to inappropriate online behavior.
Does your digital footprint convey the message you want? If you don't know you should spend time figuring this out. In the 21st century our digital footprint conveys an important image and people should know what that is."
The Innovative Educator
"I can see a day in the not too distant future (if it's not already here) where your digital footprint will carry far more weight than anything you might include in a resume."
Own Your Space: Online Reputation That Counts
- Download a very comprehensive student guide from Microsoft on all phases of building and protecting a digital footprint
- How is your digital identity like a tattoo? Visit this site for resources and ideas on how to create (or to start repairing) your digital identity/footprint/tattoo.
The Naked Truth: Beware What You Share
– Stats on
- presented on an
- Videos help teens recognize when dating has become abusive and how they can step away from
ite combines “choose-your-adventure” style videos with resources from trusted consumer safety experts. Resources for students, parents, and teachers.
From the YouTube Safety Team -
Steering Clear of Cyber Tricks
(3:02) - Good tips for protecting your privacy.
Discover What Your Digital Footprint Says About You
- Resources and suggested activities for helping students consider the importance of their digital footprint.
Protecting Online Reputations
- From Common Craft - Note: this is an evaluation version.
Tracking Your Digital Footprint
from Verena Roberts, a free 6-week online course beginning July 5, 2012. This course is an invitation to students, student-and-parent teams, parents, teachers, administrators- anyone who would like to explore and examine their digital footprint.
Videos from iKeepSafe
, Collection includes an excellent Privacy and Reputation video. Note: The iKeepSafe site is currently offline. As soon as they've made their updates, we'll embed a sample video.
Students collaborating and contributing to their learning helps build strong DC Identity
Parents' Guide to Facebook
- From ConnectSafely.org
Talking About Sexting Video
- From Common Sense Media, a video to help start the conversation on the likely consequences of sexting.
Helping Teens Establish a Positive Online Presence
- Tips from middle school teacher
on how to "
flip social media on its head."
Stand Alone Curriculum:
Download from Microsoft:
Take Charge of Your Online Reputation
- Excellent handout for students and for parent nights/newsletters.
Fostering Digital Citizenship
- Also a download from Microsoft, a visual whitepaper that addresses the online risks of Content, Contact, and Conduct.
Common Sense Media
- Privacy and Digital Footprints:
Trillion Dollar Footprint
- Essential Question: What is a digital footprint, and what does yours convey?
Oops! I Broadcast It on the Internet!
- Essential Question: What are the consequences of over-sharing online?
Digital Citizenship WebQuest
Created by a middle school computer teacher. Unit could be used as a stand alone or woven into English Language Arts Curriculum
WebQuest is aligned to ISTE Nets
- The Road to Becoming A Digital Citizen - WebQuest for middle school, referenced by ISTE's Mike Ribble's 9 Element of Digital Citizenship. Appropriate for computer classes or within the core curriculum (ELA, HSS).
New Media Literacies
Our Space: Being Responsible Citizens of a Digital Word
- A set of curricular materials designed to encourage high school students to reflect on the ethical dimensions of their participation in new media environments. Through role-playing activities and reflective exercises, students are asked to consider the ethical responsibilities of other people, and whether and how they behave ethically themselves online.
For lessons woven into the core curriculum, visit our
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Contact us at
Contributions to http://digital-id.wikispaces.com/ are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 License
Portions not contributed by visitors are Copyright 2017 Tangient LLC
TES: The largest network of teachers in the world
Turn off "Getting Started"